To make the dish of maximum yummyness you will need:
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 Egg whites
- 3 Tbsp superfine castor sugar
- Half a cup of liquor (Marsala preferably, sherry alternatively, brandy or dark rum if you are that way inclined)
- Three quarters of a cup of strong espresso coffee
- Half a pound of mascarpone cheese
- Half a cup of double cream
- Sponge fingers (Savoiardi), 30ish
What to do:
- Beat the egg yolks and the three tablespoons sugar together. The mixture should be ivory coloured when ready.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Stir a quarter of a cup of the coffee into the mascarpone.
- Whip the cream until soft and fluffy.
- Combine the mascarpone, cream and eggs together. Stir thoroughly.
- Now, to put everything in to a dish:
- Dipping each finger in to a mix of the remaining coffee and liquor first, line a dish (about 8” square) with fingers.
- Cover with a layer of mascarpone / cream / egg / sugar / liquor mix.
- Repeat layers of fingers and goo until you run out of mix!
- No, don’t eat it yet! - refrigerate for several hours first.
- Dust with cocoa powder and garnish with half a strawberry or some such prior to serving if you like.
- If you are not sure if it is whisked / beaten / whipped enough, keep going.
- If it looks like it’s going wrong, don’t panic - keep whisking!
- This is not something that takes 5 minutes to prepare, allow plenty of time.